Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cole Wesley Carmesin







Sorry that I haven't posted lately I have been busy with many things. The McKinleyville Chamber is taking a huge chunk of my time these days. I am teaching the Native American Club at Dows Prairie School on Mondays, all the while working at my parent's office. Enough about me. This post is about Cole.

Cole is the type of child who has turned into a boy. Many people even call him a little man. He is responsible, caring, loving, and a great best friend to his sister and cousins. He told me yesterday that "Mom I need to try to be good everyday so I won't get into trouble." Mind you he doesn't get into to trouble. It isn't his nature. He is really easy going. He can be a little rat some days and he gets his fair share of reprimands but in the larger scope of things he is one sweet loving boy.

The second reason for this post is that I picked up his Kindergarten registration packet yesterday!!!!! I am screaming in my head right now. Can you believe that the little boy I brought home when I was twenty years old is now old enough to drag me behind him to Kindergarten. I will survive. Prior to this year I was set on Cole attending the traditional educational program at Dow's Prairie. After much research and many many meetings and presentations we have decided to enroll Cole in the Language Immersion program at the school district. The bottom line is that 50% of his day he will be taught in English and the other 50% of his day he is taught in Spanish. I know that some are critical of the program but we feel that if we can give our child the opportunity to have a more diverse education then by all means we want to make it happen. What skills and tools can we give Cole to help him succeed in higher education and in our slimming economy. Oh yeah, the chances of someone learning fluency by starting a second language in high school is slim to none. I am proof of that.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

I am speechless with Cole's age and attending Kindergarten next year!!!!!! Wow. When I started watching him he was about 10 months old. Yes, from day one Cole has been very sweet, mature, loving, and very easygoing like you said. I have always noticed that amazing sweet nature about him. He is a GREAT kid Danielle and I sure love him!!!!!! You are very blessed with your family!

Dani said...

I think you made a great decision with the immersion program... I know it is tough, but I think it will be very beneficial to Cole in the long run! I can't even begin to think what it will be like when Tyler is old enough for Kindergarten... How crazy they grow up so fast (and so do we!) :)

Nicole said...

I can't believe he is already old enough for K-5. I remember when you were pregnant with him. You all look so great. I hope all is well.

Kelsy said...

I was wondering where you were going to put him. We have M in the immersion program and she's doing very well with it!
They grow up way too fast, don't they?